Installation problems

AirCooled aircooledmail-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 02:39:16 UTC 2006

Bjorn,

  You wrote....

  Hi!

You wrote:
> and currently use 416? megs of RAM, I have 3 strips of RAM,
> a 256, a 128, and I think a 64, I'd have to double check.

I am an IT-consultant with some experience, as I have been working in
the field of IT one way or another since 1985.  And to me your problem
description together with this sounds like a dead giveaway.
(Especially as I have recently experienced similar problems installing
Ubuntu on an oldish computer.)

I assume you have the computer hooked up to the net while you try to
install.
If not it will indeed wait a very long time at the network
confuguration stage.
My theory is that you either have faulty RAM in your machine, or that
the
different strips are incompatible.  That CAN happen even if the specs
seems
to correspond totally.  For example, RAM strips manufactured by Compaq
tends to hate more or less all other RAM.

What I recommend you do is this:
Download the full version of the Ultimate Boot CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Boot the computer from the CD and run the Memtest86+  -You'll find it
in
the menu you get after pressing F1.  Personally I tend to be very
thorough
about things like this.  So in your place I would have run the test
three times.
One for each strip, with the two others removed from the machine.
If you do this, make sure to put the strip in bank 0.
Another small and not very likely explanation might be the order of the
RAM
strips....  The biggest should be in bank 0, and then smaller and
smaller
consecutively.

You MIGHT get more information on menory configuration if you find your
machine or mainboard in the Kingston memory finder.
http://www.kingston.com/

Good luck!  If you feel you have the time it would be interesting to
hear how it
all turns out.  Kind regards,

Bjørn Ingmar Berg

  Thanks for the info. No, I'm not connected to the net, as I use a wireless phone modem for access, and it requires the OS to be up and running, as it starts from an application. I did run the "memtest" initially, it is located inside one of the help menu items. Initially, it logged no errors, quite a lengthy test, by the way, over 3 hours. I did as suggested, removed the two smaller strips, left in the 256, removed the 128 and 32, respectively. Ran the "memtest" again, received no errors, again. After 3 more hours, I might add! Although, I hit the "c" for configure, after the test, and scrolling through the list, I happened upon a note "chipset not supported!". As my chipset is sis620, I suppose I will not be able to use this distribution on my machine? I guess my next question is how do I obtain boot floppies, so I can install this OS on my old Dell server box, this machine does not allow "boot from CD", in fact the only boot option in the bios is boot from diskette, or boot from
 harddrive, I cannot even designate diferrent HDD's to boot from. And does Ubuntu support the SCSI-II format? I have 5 scuzzies waiting impatiently to be put to work! It certainly will not run the XP, and even with the 2000Server, it was always locking on startup.
  Again, thanks for your help, and if you have additional info it will be greatly appreciated. I'm going now to DL the "Ultimate Boot CD", this will be another 7 hour funfest! Yippee! It's a good thing I'm relentless in my determination! I refuse to allow Bill Gates to win! Hell, he already won. I purchased the OS already! But it doesn't mean I have to USE it! Gotta' find the positive, only way to live!

  Regards,

  AirCooled