Mldonkey too old? LowID?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Feb 6 01:45:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 02:27 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
> On 2/5/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I see that Limewire or parts of it recently were open sourced.  But
> > it still requires Java which was still proprietary last time I checked.
> >
> > Still seems crazy to use a slow-ass Java app when there's a native one
> > available...
>
> In general, I prefer native apps as well, but in the case of LimeWire,
> it has been highly optimized and runs very well under Linux -- the
> fastest download times I've ever seen with a p2p app. The only caveat
> is that, like most Java apps, it requires a lot of memory; IIRC, its
> footprint is on the order of 250Mb (but still about half what Azureus,
> a *real* memory hog, uses). So, on a system with, say, 256Mb, it may
> indeed seem pokey.
>
> I have never used Gtk-Gnutella, so I can't compare.

Heh...

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
rlrevell  8634  9.2  4.0  29316 17824 ?        S    Feb04 175:33 gtk-gnutella
rlrevell  8635  0.0  0.1  13792   540 ?        S    Feb04   0:00 DNS helper for gtk-gnutella

18MB physical, not bad... and it's been running nonstop for days.  It
routinely maxes out my 3 Mbit DSL circuit.  It will pull from thousands
of hosts in parallel.  Etc.  And, it's as easy as "apt-get install
gtk-gnutella"

I strongly recommend you try it, it will take you 30 seconds to
install...

Lee