Help!

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 23:45:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 17:29 -0500, geeles at magma.ca wrote:
> I am a newcomer to Ubuntu, I have installed 5.10 and need to solve some
> problems before I can use it on a regular basis.
>
> 1. I have installed the Firestarter firewall and tried what seem to be all possible
> settings but it blocks my accessing the internet through Firefox. The only way I can
> browse is to disable Firestarter, I use an eth0 interface and this has worked
> with a firewall on another Linux distribution.

How did you install Firestarter?  I've just tried installing the
packaged version from the repositories using Synaptic and the defaults
seem to work Just Fine Here (TM).  If you installed another way, that
may account for your troubles.  In my case I'm behind a NAT router
anyway, so not too vulnerable to attack...  Remember that Ubuntu ships
with most ports closed, so a firewall isn't the absolute priority it
might be otherwise.  What particular reason do you feel you need one
for?

> 2. Trying to install the Aegis anti-virus program produces a message that it cannot
> be installed on my system, the same message also appears when I try to install
> the Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program.

Again, how did you install?  There is a packaged version in the Universe
repository.  I haven't tried installing;  it is *most* likely to work
fine, but I don't need virus scanning as I don't serve mail on from my
Ubuntu system to Windows clients...

> 3. There are several programs I am interested in, including Thunderbird, that are
> available as .tar.gz downloads, how can I install these and integrate them
> into the desktop?

Use the packages in the repositories unless there is a good reason not
to.  There seldom is!

Neil