Reallocating Drive Space

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:58:34 UTC 2006

Here's the sad part of this story....

My wife isn't completely hooked by Linux yet, but she IS coming along.

So I have a typical dual boot system.

Here's the drive layout:

david at n1zhe:~$ df -h
/dev/hda3              37G  8.8G   27G  26% /
tmpfs                 253M  8.0K  253M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1              19G   15G  3.4G  82% /home
/dev/hda1              39G   14G   25G  35% /media/windoze

hda is an 80 gig hard drive. It is split, half going to Windows, the
other half to Linux.

hdb is a 20 gig hard drive. It holds my /home folder. It is filling up
kinda fast.

Here comes the not so sad part of my story....

So, here is my plan.

I want to reduce the size of my Windows partition by half. I want to
reallocate this room to my main Linux partition (hda3).

I then want to move my /home folder to hda3. I'll use hdb1 to store
photos, music files, ISO's, etc.

Moving the /home folder won't be all that hard, but I'd like to know
the best way to resize my hda drive, then reallocate the space for
Ubuntu without hosing the whole works.

Any suggestions?

David

--