Ubuntu setup for the visually impared

Will H. Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Sat Feb 4 01:56:43 UTC 2006

I just wanted to let the Ubuntu community know about my experience.  I set up an Ubuntu laptop for someone who is visually impared, and it works great.
I had to install the gnome-accessibility-themes to get the large, high-contrast themes.
I had to install the xcursor-themes to get a large mouse pointer option, although this could be improved with a real high-contrast pointer theme.
The fun trick was giving them the features of the commercial ZoomText product for free.
I modified the xorg.conf file and added one line to the screen configuration.
The screen had a resolution of "1024x768", but the super large fonts of the theme made the screen a little crowded.
I added the following right under the "1024x768" line for their default color depth:

Virtual 2048 1536

This means that the full desktop is twice as large as the screen, and you "slide" the view around with your mouse.
This is essentially a screen magnifier.

The user loved the desktop and was amazed at how well it works for free.  Most (but not all) icons in the menus and toolbars have very nice high-contrast versions.

Thanks alot Ubuntu.

-- Will