[Dapper] [Kino] ieee and export problems

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Feb 3 23:02:23 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow <duncan <at> lithgow-schmidt.dk> writes:

> As root the error in IEEE1394 preferences is gone. Playback is fine, but
> capturing kills it with the following dump:
>
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
>  >> Constructing File Capture tracker
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
>  >> AV/C Disabled
>  >>> Trying /media/hda1/tmp-win/video/dinner001.avi
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
>  >>> Trying /media/hda1/tmp-win/video/dinner002.avi
>  >>> Trying /media/hda1/tmp-win/video/dinner003.avi
>  >>>> Registering /media/hda1/tmp-win/video/dinner003.avi with the tracker
>
> Kino experienced a segmentation fault.
> Dumping stack from the offending thread
>
> Could not open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
> Obtained 10 stack frames.
> kino(__gxx_personality_v0+0x32e) [0x8071b82]
> [0xffffe420]
> kino(_ZN8AVI2File10WriteFrameERK5Frame+0x25c) [0x809bdca]

Duncan, I am the lead developer of Kino. The crashing in Capture is reported by
other Ubuntu users in the kinodv.org forum. I run Kubuntu Breezy at work on the
stock kernel, and I can not reproduce it.

The ALSA errors are very straightforward. You do not have an ALSA "default"
device. Why is that? Are your drivers not loaded? If you have aplay, aplay -L
will show all the possible ALSA pcm devices (any word beginning in first column).