Saving APT/DPKG Data

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:26:23 UTC 2006

On 02/02/06, David A. Cobb <superbiskit at cox.net> wrote:
>  I want to try upgrading Hoary -> Breezy.  However, I've spent weeks getting
> the package set I want for Hoary.
>  Can someone identify which files/directories contain DPKG and APT's notion
> of what packages=versions are current or desired.  I'm concerned lest a
> dist-upgrade doesn't work and I can't get back to Hoary /AS I HAVE IT
> TODAY/.

If you would like a list of packages that are currently installed you
can get it by typing this at a command prompt (terminal window):

$ dpkg --get-selections > ~/installed-packages.txt

If you are using apt's dist-upgrade method to go from hoary to breezy,
it will automatically update every package you have installed to the
latest versions.

If you would like to do this via synaptic you can edit your
repositories using the Settings menu and selecting Repositories.

In here, you can change each instance of 'hoary' to 'breezy'.  After
you have done this, clicking 'reload' will get all the information for
breezy.  You can then Mark All Upgrades, and hit apply.

More detail, and other methods are listed here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyUpgrade

I'd say good luck, but it'll work ;) So, have fun!
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
~ http://darrylclarke.com