ATA? Please . . .

Ted Parks tparks at linuxmail.org
Thu Feb 2 22:43:11 UTC 2006

I posted a query earlier about specifying dev=ATA when burning an audio CD. I got no replies but would be grateful for any help.

When I try to burn a CD using cdrdao on my Dell running Breezy
Badger, the burn fails. I have read that ATA works better with
cdrdao. On my laptop running Debian stable, I specified my CDRW drive
using dev=ATA along with the drive's location, and cdrdao worked.

I cannot get Ubuntu to find the Dell's DVD-RW drive with cdrecord
-scanbus dev=ATA, though cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI does show the
drive.

How can I use ATA with Ubuntu? What is the difference between ATA and ATAPI?

Thanks,
Ted Parks