Dapper networking appears to be totally hosed

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 05:51:43 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:55:12 -0500
> From: matthew nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
> Subject: Re: Dapper networking appears to be totally hosed
> To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> after upgrading earlier i have issues too. i can get to my router via ip
> (both ping and http) but cannot resolve names etc further.
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 08:25 -0500, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 06:36:46PM -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> > > And from the internet: http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm
> > >
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryNetworking?highlight=%28CategoryNetworking%29
> >
> > Just to clarify: I'm well past the stage where I need help
> > figuring out what my ESSID is, what my IP is, etc. :-) I'm
> > using dhclient to get a DHCP lease, and I was connected via
> > wired Ethernet. iwconfig and ifconfig do all the things you
> > mentioned, and I have checked them repeatedly.
> >
> --
> matthew nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
> sjoeboo.com

Look at "/etc/resolv.conf".   If you see a your modem address (as
nameserver) and another as well then comment out the modem address (example
follows):

tod at tod:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search domain.actdsltmp
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 205.175.3.65
tod at tod:~$ sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
tod at tod:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf