Live CD and wireless

whitroth at cfl.rr.com whitroth at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 01:51:24 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 07:57:25 -0500
> From: Billy Pollifrone <billy at silverbaseball.com>
>
> On 2/1/06, whitroth at cfl.rr.com <whitroth at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is that like "control center->network->wireless"? If so, that is

> No, I meant the program called "Networking Tools," however it likely
> wouldn't show it if KDE's control panel doesn't show it either.

As I said, I see control center, and click on network, or networking
tools - I don't remember what it's called, and then wireless. That's all
I can find. I went down and stared around /sbin, /usr/sbin/ and /etc for
awhile, and found nothing autmated - I mean, under /etc/network, there's
a wireless.sh, but there's *nothing* that does what SuSE's yast2 does,
which is somehow associate the installed module ath_pci with the
interface name ath0.

I've looked in /proc on both SuSE liveDVD and Kubuntu, and find
references to ath0 on the former, but again, can't find anything that
relates ath_pci as ath0, and there's just *no* references anywhere to ath0.

I'm about ready to give up on Kubuntu. I can't find a working tool to
complete the damn configuration with this abominable wireless crap, and
I have no choice but wireless here. I appreciate your help, but the
tools either aren't there, or don't work. I've got an email hopefully
being forwarded to a friend who's a debian developer - if he doesn't
come through, and no one here has another suggestion, I'm gone. I
*really* want to install, and get off the damn live CD/DVDs, so I can
use a *real* mailtool, not @#$%^&*(Webmail.

SuSE seems to run slower, for some reason, than Kubuntu, but I may have
no choice. I don't feel like compiling the damn o/s - not enough disk
space, anyway, and I'm a software developer/programmer/systems
administrator, and I do all I want at work like that.... I just want to
come home and run stuff, not develop the o/s.

         mark