Mldonkey too old? LowID?

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:47:18 UTC 2006

One other outside possibility is that ISPs may be antagonistic of
people who are doing p2p filesharing. Since 4662 TCP, and 4672 UDP are
extremely common for edonkey clients, your isp might have draconian
port blocking policies, and are not allowing incoming traffic on
common p2p ports.  Maybe try configuring your client to listen on
something far outside that range like 34662 and 34672.  Be sure to set
up the proper forwarding in your nat as well.

Here's a troubleshooting technique you can try.
Turn off your mldonkey/edonkey/whatever program.
Install openssh-server
Configure your ssh server to listen on the port (TCP only for ssh) in
question.  This is in /etc/ssh_config.
Restart the ssh server
Ensure your port forwarding is set up properly
Get a friend with linux or using PuTTy on windows to attempt to ssh in
to your computer.
get your ip address at http://checkip.dyndns.org/
Note you don't have to even give them a username/password.  If they
receive a password prompt, then the connection was successful, and
they can cancel.  If their client just sits there or refuses to
connect then something is going on either with your ISP or with your
router/port forwarding.
(They can also run nmap against that port.)
Reconfigure ssh to use a different port and try again
Rinse
Repeat.