/usr/bin/X11 broken?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Wed Feb 1 11:56:10 UTC 2006

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> I am new to this list, though not completely new to linux. I have used
> SuSe, Gentoo and Debian before and am quite pleased with Ubuntu.
> I have question though, concerning the PATH, which contains /usr/bin/X11.
> In Ubuntu, it is /usr/bin/X11 -> ../bin
> in Debian, it is /usr/bin/X11 -> ../X11R6/bin, which makes more sense.

No, those distributions still have XFree86 or xorg 6.9 or earlier.
Ubuntu ships now with Xorg 7.0, so /usr/X11R6 does not make sense
anyway. It would be /usr/X11R7, but upstream has choosen to comply with
the FHS and use /usr/bin instead.

> The first problem is that -> ../bin is a recursive link and
> the second is that apps which reside in /usr/X11R6/bin are not
> accessible without changing PATH. xclip is an example for such an app.

Please file bugs against packages still installing binaries in
/usr/X11R6/bin. They need to install binaries to /usr/bin.

Greetings,
	Reinhard