/usr/bin/X11 broken?

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Wed Feb 1 11:30:34 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I am new to this list, though not completely new to linux. I have used
SuSe, Gentoo and Debian before and am quite pleased with Ubuntu.
I have question though, concerning the PATH, which contains /usr/bin/X11.
In Ubuntu, it is /usr/bin/X11 -> ../bin
in Debian, it is /usr/bin/X11 -> ../X11R6/bin, which makes more sense.

The first problem is that -> ../bin is a recursive link and
the second is that apps which reside in /usr/X11R6/bin are not
accessible without changing PATH. xclip is an example for such an app.

Or am i missing something?

Thanks for any help,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341