AMD Dual Core CPU's

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Wed Feb 1 07:13:39 UTC 2006

Victor Polukcht wrote:
> В Срд, 01/02/2006 в 16:07 +1100, Peter Lieverdink пишет:
> I'm using AMD64 X2 3800+. Difference is really big only in
> encoding/streaming/compiling video/audio/programs. In other apps - no
> difference with my old Intel P4-3000. The main problem for me always was
> amount of memory. Now i have 2Gb on my desktop and everything is
> balanced.
>
> So if you are using your desktop only for "home usage" - there is NO
> reason for very expencive AMD64 X2.

No, my point is that for the _same_ price, a lower clocked X2 might be a
better choice than a higher clocked single-core.

Sure, encoding will be faster on the single-core box, BUT it will also
slow down other apps running on a single-core system (just like those
apps will be slowing down the encode).

- P.