AMD Dual Core CPU's

Victor Polukcht vpolukcht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 05:30:28 UTC 2006

В Срд, 01/02/2006 в 16:07 +1100, Peter Lieverdink пишет:

//
//  Skipped
//

> 4GHz of joy vs 2.4GHz. Hmmm.
>
> I suppose it mainly depends on how you plan to use it. On a Linux box
> where you run a lot of concurrent apps (evolution, office, firefox,
> vmware, whatever) I expect a 2GHz dual-core will give you, the end user,
> a far better experience than a single core 2.4GHz.
>
> On an x2, whenever you have an app that eats a lot of cpu time, you
> still have the other core to run any other app that needs it at full
> speed. Yum :-)  In most cases (for office/web/mail) you won't notice
> much of a difference between 2 and 2.4GHz, but you will notice a large
> difference between a single-core and dual-core box when you try to push
> the machine a bit.

I'm using AMD64 X2 3800+. Difference is really big only in
encoding/streaming/compiling video/audio/programs. In other apps - no
difference with my old Intel P4-3000. The main problem for me always was
amount of memory. Now i have 2Gb on my desktop and everything is
balanced.

So if you are using your desktop only for "home usage" - there is NO
reason for very expencive AMD64 X2.

--
Best regards,
Victor Polukcht