USB Stick with Password under Linux

Mark Johanson markjohanson at ureach.com
Sun Dec 31 17:41:14 UTC 2006

I have a couple Thumbdrives that I use to transfer/store
information. What I use on the for security is TrueCrypt -
http://www.truecrypt.org/ - to store the information. Here is a
snippet from the site of its main features:

*Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as
a real disk.

*Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such
as USB flash drive.

*Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and
transparent.

*Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an
adversary forces you to reveal the password:
 1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found
here).
 2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be
distinguished from random data).

*Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5,
Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish. Mode of operation: LRW  (CBC
supported as legacy).

I've never had a problem using it on any of my Ubuntu boxes, or
my work *windoze* system.