Posts to user list not going through ?

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 30 16:32:50 UTC 2006

Todd Slater wrote:

> On 12/30/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:18:44 +0000
> > norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Just got 2 more both sent to my home address. Is this some sort of
> > > attempt to build up a list for advertising purposes from those who
> > > bother to reply?
> >
> > No, I think, as Derek suggested, it is just someone who subscribed
> > using an address that has since become invalid - I expect it will
> > stop as soon as the relevant admins fix it :)
> >
> > The ones I am seeing are being tagged as spam by bogofilter and
> > dropped into my spam directory, which suits me fine ;-)
> >
> > Peter
>
> It is odd that list users are receiving the message, as it's something
> that mailman should either handle itself by automatically unsubbing
> bounced addresses, or the notices should go to the list admins only,
> not the entire list.

Has anyone examined Received: headers to see how the messages are
getting to you? Are they actually coming through the list, or from
somewhere else?

As long as the server bouncing the messages respects the Return-Path
header, and your messages are sent to the list only, you shouldn't
see bounces. If you "CC to sender" or "reply to all" by default you
might get a bounce also if the bogus address shows up in almost any
header in the original. That's all determined by your mail client. And
of course the server doing the bouncing could just be broken.

It should be pretty easy to tell what's what from the headers of one of
the bounced messages, but for some reason I'm not seeing any of them....

*shrug*

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.