laptop power management!

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 30 13:10:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:53:39 -0500
John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:

> I'm running Dapper 6.06 LTS...
> It's odd that my power managment icon showed up in the status bar of my
> laptop until my last reboot, and now it no longer shows at all.

Under System --> Preferences --> Power Management , on the "General" tab,
there should be options for the Notification Area . For instance you
should see "Only display when charging or discharging" and so on.

Make sure that you have a notification area -

Right-click panel , Add to Panel - Notification Area

> But,
> when it was there, it seemed to work ok, except that I had to mouse over
> it to know (in text) how much power was left on the battery.  It didn't
> seem to be that accurate, though.  At one point, mousing over would say
> "you have 3 hours 45 minutes of power left"... and then, 5 minutes later
> - "you have 2 hours 12 minutes of power left"... and then, 10 minutes
> later - "You have 3 hours 58 minutes of power left"...

On my iBook, the calculation sometimes takes a few seconds to settle down
and show a consistent value - perhaps that is what you are seeing?

Peter