Wireless - Dapper

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Fri Dec 29 20:49:18 UTC 2006

I have a Dell 8600 Inspiron w/IPW2100 wireless connected to eth1.
        I have had no problems in connecting to wireless networks in
        other parts
        of the country while traveling.  I recently added a Linksys
        4400N
        wireless router in my home office, and I have a win box that
        connects to
        it using a WUSB54G adapter.  However, the Ubuntu laptop will not
        connect
        to it.  iwconfig shows the ESSID and lsmod | grep ipw2100 shows
        the
        drivers as loaded (both as ipw2100 and ieee80211).
        I've tried going through the network manager
        (System->Admin->Networks),
        and setting different locations with different setups, but it
        doesn't
        seem to help.  Setting the wireless to either DHCP or Static IP
        doesn't
        resolve it.

        I think the problem is in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
        Can I create a network/interfaces to load as a default, and an
        alternate
        interfaces file to load when I want to use eth1 for wireless?

        I installed airsnort to see if I could see the network, but
        airsnort
        just gives me the following errors:
        ymsmoke at Nebo:~$ sudo airsnort
        /sbin/wlanctl-ng eth1 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable > /dev/null
        wlanctl-ng: Operation not supported
        /sbin/wlanctl-ng eth1 lnxreq_wlansniff enable=true channel=3
        keepwepflags=false prismheader=false > /dev/null
        wlanctl-ng: Operation not supported
        /sbin/wlanctl-ng eth1 lnxreq_wlansniff enable=true channel=4
        keepwepflags=false prismheader=false > /dev/null
        wlanctl-ng: Operation not supported
        /sbin/wlanctl-ng eth1 lnxreq_wlansniff enable=true channel=5
        keepwepflags=false prismheader=false > /dev/null
        wlanctl-ng: Operation not supported

        Any input is appreciated.

        tia