Home IMAP server

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 14:34:47 UTC 2006

On 29/12/06, Todd Slater <dontodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, postfix, procmail, bogofilter, and dovecot for IMAP. I also use
> RoundCube for web access. You would be using fetchmail too, as I
> understand.

Er, for what? :) If it's for pulling the mail down from the POP3
server, then doesn't postfix do that?

> > ALso, please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. Postfix
> > connects to a remote POP3 machine and pulls the mail down.
>
> In my case, it's just a regular mail server so postfix is listening
> for mail connections and receives mail for my domains. But yes, you'd
> use fetchmail to pull mail from other servers. I have used fetchmail
> in this system as well, and it just works as it passes mail to
> postfix, thus starting the whole process.

Fetchmail give the mail to postfix? Because I thought that postfix
goes and gets mail, and does not listen for it.

> > It then
> > passes the mail to procmail, which runs bogofilter and based on
> > bogofilter's response, procmail puts the mail in the appropriate
> > folder. The IMAP server then has access to it, and can serve email to
> > your client (Tbird, Kmail, etc.).
>
> Exactly.

Yes! One down.

> > Now, when you get a spam in ham, or
> > vice versa, you put it in a special spam->ham or ham->spam folder so
> > that bogofilter can learn from it. Every so often, cron comes along,
> > parses those special folders, and send the email to bogofilter so he
> > can learn. Is that what's happening?
>
> Yes.

Two down!

> > Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
> There's not much tricky about this setup, but I always run into
> trouble with postfix/procmail.

Does this affect your ability to send/ receive email?

> The only required change to the postfix
> configuration as far as I can tell is to put this in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -Y -a $DOMAIN

I'm going to google that.

> In my .procmailrc, I have my bogofilter rules:
>
> :0fw
> |bogofilter -u -e -p
>
> :0e
> { EXITCODE=75 HOST }
>
> :0
> .Unsure/
>
> :0
> .Junk/

And those I shall google as well.

> I happen to register every mail with the db, thus the -u switch. I
> think that once you get your server set up, you won't want to use any
> client-side filtering at all; it's so much easier to set it up one
> time in your procmail rc files.

I intend to only register false postives/nevatives with bogofilter, as
I believe that is all it pays attention to anyway.

> Let me know if you want to see the cron scripts.

I'd love to see them, thanks!

> Todd

Dotan

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/javascript.html