iMac 600 MHZ

Ubence Quevedo r0d3nt at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 28 21:28:11 UTC 2006

Check this forum thread on how to get the graphical install to work properly.

Here is the pertinent text from the link:

After booting is complete,

1. ctrl-option-F1 (should give you a command prompt)

2. type: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (return)

3. Modify "HorizSync" to 58-62 and "VertRefresh" to 75-117. Both are in the monitors section.

 4. Disable DRI (in the modules section, put a hash mark (#) at the beginning of the line containing "load dri").

4. ctrl-O (return) to write edited file

5. ctrl-X to exit nano back to command line

6. type: sudo killall -HUP gdm (return) to restart Gnome

I tried this and it worked, no slow down or anything after the install.

However, when I did a distro upgrade from 6.06 to 6.10, things just broke again, I couldn't get it fixed, so I gave up.

The iMac I installed on was a 500Mhz Graphite G3 with 512MB of RAM.

Hope this helps.

-Ubence