Windows refugee questions...

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 14:43:01 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, David B Teague <davidbteague at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am a Windows refugee. [snip]

Welcome!

> OK. Questions:
>
> 1) If I understand correctly, Nautilus is a "Windows Explorer" for
> Linux.  Is there a document I can download or a book I can buy  that
> tells me how to do the things I do with Windows? (I do use OO.o,
> Thunderbird, and Firefox, so that part will be easy.)

Yes, Nautilus is like Windows Explorer and works very similar. You're
unlikely to have much trouble adjusting, although there will be some
differences. In general, dragging/dropping and/or cutting/pasting work
as before.

> My system has a Radeon 9200 AGP video, ViewSonic 17 inch flat monitor,
> Sempron 2800 processor, 1 GB  333 MHz RAM, and two 80 GB drives, Verizon
> DSL with a Westel 327W modem/router and with the hardware firewall enabled.

The big advantage of the bootable CD (which you mention later) is that
you can try it and see if everything is working  before you install
it. It'll be a bit slower than when run from the hard disk, but you
can check to see that all the parts (such as the video and networking)
are working correctly. You seemed to have tried the LiveCD. Did it not
work?

> 2) Shouldn't that run Ubuntu or Kubuntu at a speed as fast as it does XP?

Looks reasonable to me (I have no experience with Radeon, however).

> 3) What do I tell the Ubuntu installation about my IP number? I should
> be able to query Windows about the IP number it is using. I would guess
> I can use that. Can someone tell me how to do this? The bootable CD
> finds the internet automatically.

Um, if the bootable CD finds the internet automatically, what is the
problem? That's exactly what the computer will do when you install it.
Maybe I'm missing something here. Can you explain further?

-Eamonn