why Can't I install the grub on ubuntu 6.06?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Dec 28 14:28:44 UTC 2006

zhihang wang wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. I tried to install grub when I install ubuntu.
> But there are some errors so that I can't install the grub during the
> install session. So I have to boot to ubuntu from my flash-disk. I can
> boot directly from my harddisk to xp. I don't want to delete my xp. But is
> it possible for me to install the grub now?

Yes.  I booted the live CD, then switched to a console and:

# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt --no-floppy (hd0)

You might, perhaps, need the "--modules=ext2", but I wouldn't expect it to
be needed.  If that leaves you without an entry to XP, you can fix that in
grub after you reboot - everything you need is likely there and commented
out.
--
derek