GNU Java vs. Sun Java: What's the difference, what is better?

Gilles Gravier Gilles at Gravier.org
Thu Dec 28 11:05:16 UTC 2006

Dotan,

Java isn't just a language... it's a platform. If it was only a
language, you'd be stuck with having to compile it for a specific target
environment / CPU / OS... but since it's a complete platform, that
includes the specifications of a very well defined execution
environment, when you compile your Java source, the resulting bytecode
is capable of running on any machine that has the proper runtime
environment.

Now this is where it gets complicated... some runtime environments don't
run all Java applications. For example, take something that does a lot
of fancy things, like AppGate's MindTerm SSH applet/application (you can
download it - sources and binaries - from
http://www.appgate.com/products/80_MindTerm/index.php ) run nicely in
any of Sun's Java runtimes (at least anything above version 1.2)... But
fails to run on GNU Java. I must say I haven't investigated completely,
but my guess is that either GNU Java implements some classes differently
than the spec says... or doesn't implement all the classes.

In any case (and particularly now that we've open-sourced it) I
recommend going for Java 1.6 from Sun
(http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp), either in source
form... or in binary form. In any case, it's GPLed and will fit nicely
next to a Linux kernel.

Gilles (caveat : I work for Sun - Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com)

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*