apt-get nightmare - redux...

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Wed Dec 27 00:34:47 UTC 2006

I have what apparently is a broke spamassassin on my server that i would
like to dump and re-install.  Here are the commands I tried, and their
results...

root at mgjventures:/# apt-get --purge spamassasin
E: Invalid operation spamassasin

root at mgjventures:/# apt-get --remove spamassassin
E: Invalid operation spamassassin

root at mgjventures:/# apt-get --purge --remove spamassassin
E: Invalid operation spamassassin

root at mgjventures:/# apt-get -s install spamassassin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
spamassassin is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Conf spamassassin (3.1.3-1ubuntu1~dapper1 Ubuntu:6.06/dapper-backports)

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

tia

John