Old pc faster than recent

Claudio Clemens asturiolists at gmx.net
Mon Dec 25 10:00:28 UTC 2006

Hi there,

here is my X-Mas gift for you:

2006-12-14, 22:22 +0100, sebastien:
> Thanks everyone !
> What a disappointment to have a 1 year old laptop
> slower than an old 7 years old desktop... That reminds me : At which
> point does the society of consumption does really benefit us ? ? Sure
> those 2 products are different, but 7 years is a lot for computers...

cat /proc/cpuinfo... you want do compare the bogomips... it's probably
more accurate than comparing the frequence of both "different"
processors.

> Number of services on the laptop running 6.10 : that's a fact : a very
> high amount of services is listed : a  majority is checked (14 daemons),
> and some not. Which ones can I safely deactivate to improve ?
>
> apmd (checked)

I don't think, this is the problem. Just leave it there

> powernowd (checked)

This IS probably your problem. These just scale down your CPU. I can
notice a big difference, when turning this off.

sudo /etc/init.d/powernowd stop

may help you.

> I shall try XFCE on the laptop, in order to get a faster ubuntu, if
> disabling more daemons do not enhance the performance.

This could also help a little. But the real problem is above, the
powernowd.

HTH,

Claudio

--
+- .''`. ---| Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Claudio Clemens |------| Sarge |-------+
| : :' :      asturio at gmx (.) net           GNU/Linux User #79942  |