kdetv works, but not xawtv

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Dec 23 15:26:54 UTC 2006

I'm begining to wonder if the X server that comes with Kubuntu 6.10 lacks
some basic functionality.

I can't get qiv to work oj it, and now xawtv does not work. Here's
what I'm getting when I try to start it up:

sandi at teddy:~$ xawtv
This is xawtv-3.95, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.17-10-386)
X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
Serial number of failed request:  65

kdetv works fine, and xawtv does not even get as far as
bringing up anything on the display.

If I run qiv from the Ubuntu machine, and let it display on
existing non Ubuntu machines, it works just fine.

Am I missing something?
(Dennis Ritchie)