GNU Java vs. Sun Java: What's the difference, what is better?

Martin Marcher martin.marcher at openforce.com
Sat Dec 23 13:26:28 UTC 2006

Am 22.12.2006 um 20:01 schrieb Dotan Cohen:

> What are the differences between the GNU and Sun Javas? I know that
> Sun invented Java and that it was just made open source. But what I
> need to know are what are the differences from a user's perspective?

referencing your next sentence you are not a normal user (university
work) most users don't even know what java is. And if your university
expects you to do homework/seminar/whatever work in java, save
yourself the hassle and use Sun's java.

I tried it only once to use jikes, ibm java, gnu java (given about 2
years ago or something like that - dark period, lots of coffee and
cigarettes) but finally sticked with sun because it will just work®
(in most cases but if you know that you need a certain java version
for something to work you won't be the one asking about gnu java any
more)

Note: By no means I think that the quality of gnu java is bad, it's
just that it doesn't fully work, especially if (and I'm pretty sure
they do) your employee/teacher uses sun's java and expects your
program to just work®

> I intend to use Java in Firefox for some university work (they are
> idiots, yes, I know, for writting in Java), and I don't know what
> else, just yet. I've two machines: a 1.3gHz AMD box with 1GB RAM and a
> 2.0gHz Intel laptop with 2GB RAM.

Thanks for the info :)

I work on a Dual Celeron 300MHz A with 768 RAM so I think that your
box should be strong enough :)

\martin