using the free command

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Dec 23 01:49:45 UTC 2006

MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Does using the free command from a terminal in Ubuntu show the amount of
> total RAM you have?

Just tried it... yes it does :-)

> I also need to find out how to get this information in Windows

You didn't say which version of Windows you have, but on my old copy of
Windows XP, I have an icon on the desktop tha tsyas "System" (it looks
like computer). If you right-click on it, and select "Properties" (last
item in the menu), it gives you a few basic details about the machine:

Version of Windows
CPU model
CPU speed
amount of RAM

because I
> am wondering if I have the same amount of RAM on my Desktop which is
> again might be again why I am unable to run Ubuntu as the Live CD with
> accessibility

Hmmm yes, I would assume you would need 512MB of RAM for it to
all work smoothly. 256MB would be a little low, from my experience,
even for basic stuff (web browsing, Office work )

--
Vince