Emacs-snapshot Right Alt key

Scot Johnson scotjohnson at mac.com
Fri Dec 22 22:24:59 UTC 2006

Stephen Ryan <taketwoaspirin at gmail.com> writes:
> I've also noticed this in Firefox, where right-alt + left-arrow
> doesn't go back.  I've not yet bothered to find a fix for that, but
> you might check to see if it's the same problem that I have, where the
> right Alt key is showing up as a "ISO Level 3 Shift" key, rather than
> "Alt_R".  From a terminal, run "xev", then press and release the right
> alt key once.
>
> I get the following output from that, which shows that the key name is
> "ISO_Level3_Shift":

Running xev, it looks like I get the same thing:

KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x4d, subw 0x0, time 2889541911, (696,268), root:(703,343),
    state 0x0, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x4d, subw 0x0, time 2889541998, (696,268), root:(703,343),
    state 0x80, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

> I have two similar systems running edgy, one a fresh install and the
> other an upgrade from dapper.  I wasn't sure if it was a hardware
> difference (the newer one, a Thinkpad T60p, shows this problem, the
> older one, a Thinkpad T40, does not), or a small configuration
> difference between a clean install and an upgrade.  I'll try to
> compare the two in the next day or so to see if there is an easy fix.

Great!  I don't think I'm skilled enough to come up w/ a fix.  Well,
maybe after quite a bit of skull sweat I could. :) Sure hope someone
can find something because it's really inconvenient not to have the
Right Alt key in emacs.

Btw that xev is pretty cool.  I didn't even know that such a utility
existed.

Thanks very much for your reply!

--
Scot