Flash Apps On Linux

Severin Schoepke severin.schoepke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:46:29 UTC 2006

Hi Wade,

Wade Smart schrieb:
> [snip]
>
> Can we run flash apps on linux? I havent ever seen one but that doesnt
> mean they arent out there

At the Moment there's the Flash 7 plugin for Mozilla browsers available
packaged for Ubuntu 32 Bit systems. On 32 Bit systems you can also use
the beta version of the Flash 9 plugin (It's easy to install: google it
(it's somewhere on the Adobe site), and copy the libflashplayer.so file
in the downloaded archive into your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory).
You can use both of these plugins also on 64 Bit systems, but this needs
a bit of fiddling (installing a 32 Bit Firefox). You can find howto's
for this solution in the Ubuntu forums...
A last solution would be to use Gnash: Gnash is a free and open
implementation of Flash. It contains a standalone player as well as
Mozilla plugins and it runs on 32 as well as 64 Bit systems. However, it
is not very mature yet and I don't know how good it works. If you want
to give it a try, you have to google it, it must be on the gnu website...

HTH, Severin