length of time for first update after installing 6.10

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Dec 21 18:34:05 UTC 2006

david at adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) wrote:
> How long should the first update take after installing 6.10?
> I installed last night, onto a 17G drive, with 256M of memory, and a broadband
> cable connection.
> The updater popped up, with a large amount of updates available.
> I started it running, and it seemed as if it was sitting on the first one for
> a very very long time.

Should take only a few seconds. It it hangs, most likely there is a
network problem, maybe you are using a mirror that is faulty... I often
have problems with mirrors, so now I always connect to the main Ubuntu
servers in the UK. You can go to System->Administration->Software
Properties, to select the server, then try again to run the
update-manager.
I see yo have only 256MB of RAM though, that's not much run Gnome, so
maybe this is causing some weird kind of bug.
But try simple things first, and switch to the main Ubuntu server.

--
Vince