Making a CD recorder work

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 21 16:22:50 UTC 2006

stan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:26:54PM -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>
>>stan wrote:
>>
>>>I've used cdrecord and cdrdao in the past on Debian machnes with success. I
>>>just installed a HP CD Writer in my Ubuntu machine, and when I run cdrecord
>>>-scanbus I get only the following:
>>>
>>>root at ubuntu:~# cdrecord -scanbus
>>>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Joerg
>>>Schilling
>>>NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
>>>cdrecord
>>>      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>>>			Please send bug reports and support requests to
>>>			<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
>>>				  The original author should not be bothered with problems
>>>				  of this version.
>>>
>>>  cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.17-10-generic
>>>  cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
>>>  cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
>>>  cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open
>>>  '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
>>>  cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
>>>  cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord
>>>  dev=help'.
>>>				  /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>>>
>>>I have developed some autmated scripts for buring ISO's. and audio CD's
>>>using cdrecord, and cdrdao. I'd like to be able to make these work on
>>>Ubuntu.
>>>
>>>What do I need to do to convert these?
>>>

>>Stan,
>>
>>Am I correct in assuming the HP CD Writer is not SCSI, rather it is
>>IDE?
>

> Yes, you are correct.
>
>>Does
>>/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup
>>help with setting up your system?
>>

> To some extent. I was able to convert the cdrecord based scripts, after
> setting up /dev/hdc as the default device there, and removing any
> references to the device in the scripts.
>
> Looks like under more moder versions of Linux, I don't need teh SCSI
> emulation for cdrecord, right.
>
> That however leaves me with the issue of the cdrdao scripts. Reading
> the man page for it, it appears as though it still needs the SCSI emulation.
> Is this correct? If so, I see 2 choices here. 1. Make the SCSI emualation
> work, or 2. convert the cdrao scripts to use cdrecord.
>
> I'm afraid that the reasons for the use of the 2 different tools are lost
> in the mists of time. Which would be easier?
>
> And thanks for the help!

Stan,

I have a SCSI CD RW so I have not had to deal with an IDE CD RW.

I googled "cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'.
Cannot open SCSI driver."

Looks like you need to modify your boot loader either grub or lilo.
See the following two results of my google results. Hope this helps.

Also, please reply to the Ubuntu users email list so everyone
gets the benefit of the question, the discussion, and the potential
resolution.

I hope my response is of help and use.

Darlene
1)
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2002-June/007518.html
After spending much time figuring out how to get cd writing to work on LFS,
I finally got it this morning. Here are 3 easy steps to spitting some
coasters. You probably just need step 2.

1. Make sure you have cdrtools installed, and have ide-scsi in your kernel.
2. Add this option to your bootloader
hdd(or hdc, or whatever your cdwriter is)=ide-scsi
3. If you use pure devfs like I do, link /dev/scsi/(a big list of
directorys I can't bother to remember)/generic to /dev/sg0. If you use
devfsd, good luck figuring out how to make it work if it doesn't.
4. Put a coaster in your mouth, and spit it out. There is no step 4.

Well, at least it SHOULD work. I haven't actually burnt a CD yet, but
cdrecord -scanbus says that it's working.

Michael Wu

2)
http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20040412/027240.html
Thought it might need the "append hdc=ide-scsi" fix.  Sarge installed
with grub so I edited the /boot/menu.lst file with guidance from google
to look like...

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.25-1-386
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.4.25-1-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro
hdc=ide-scsi
initrd          /initrd.img-2.4.25-1-386
savedefault
boot

Not positive that is correct, but it seems to have worked as I see the
following with dmesg:
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices