install xemacs problems

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Thu Dec 21 07:32:17 UTC 2006

wei li wrote:
> I tried to install xemacs on ubuntu 6.06, but the ./configure always
> has problems in recognizing the X system:
>   What window system should XEmacs use?                   none

> How should I fix the problem?

Maybe it's possible that you are missing the -dev packages for your
window system, e.g. Gnome has a tool called gnome-config in libgnome-dev
which might give the configure file a clue (however, I haven;t looked at
the configure file).

Another question: Why do you want to compile xemacs from scratch? I
believe there is a package called xemacs21 in dapper/universe.

Cheers

Carsten