subject: Re: Giving up on Edgy

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Fri Dec 15 19:10:00 UTC 2006

Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:00:35 -0800, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net>
> spake thusly:
>
>> Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:

>>> Maybe we should keep to LTS releases for machines used in
>>> productive work ?
>> That is a very sensible suggestion. Most of my client's in-store
>> production database servers are still running RH7.x, because there
>> has not been (until now) any practical business reason to "upgrade"
>> them.
>
> What about security?  Where does one find security updates for an ancient
> unsupported distro?

It hasn't been an issue. Their retail store POS systems are all behind
a firewall that has all ports turned off except one that points to the
linux server.  The setup is the same in each location. It has all
external services turned off so the only thing that will get an
acknowledgement is an ssh request. And then within the server system
we have two additional application hoops to jump through.  We are
looking forward to moving forward to Ubuntu-based servers in the new
year.  But that's mainly because of the need to to get onto more
modern hardware and get some (lacking) standardization in place.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man