DegradedArray event (RAID-1, LVM, Ubuntu 6.06 Server)

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Fri Dec 15 15:45:10 UTC 2006

Hello,

Em Friday 15 December 2006 08:39, V D escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> First of all sorry but I'm definitely not an expert.
>
> I received two mail alerts at the same time but I don't know how to fix
that.
>     DegradedArray event on /dev/md0:xxx
>     DegradedArray event on /dev/md1:xxx
>
> I have two identical discs in RAID-1 (with LVM, configured during the
> installation of an Ubuntu 6.06 Server Edition).
>
> Should I first try to "recover from a multiple disk failure" using
> "mdadm --assemble --force", as explained at
> http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/Software-RAID.HOWTO-8.html ?
> Is there a problem if I don't have a file /etc/raidtab?

First of all, try to hot add the missing partitions to respective md devices.
Wait for them to sync before anything else (you can watch the
file /proc/mdstat to be sure).

After sync is done, you should be fine. I would suggest a reboot to see if it
comes degraded or not.

Do you know what caused the degrade? Was it online, or after a boot? If it was
after boot, did you get any relevant messages (check kern.log.* or dmesg if
still available).

regards
FF