Latest Updates

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 15:31:27 UTC 2006

I understand what both of you are saying but you're missing the point that I'm trying to make.

I personally use the command line so this discussion doesn't bother me ............ but not everyone does.

My main point is, why does update-manager tell me things that adpet doesn't. whatever distro you use, the info it tells us should be the same. So, if I use update-manager on kubuntu, it shouldn't be telling me that linux-headers are unauthenticated. The same engine should be used by all *ubuntu distros and by all means have a different gui for whatever DM you use.

As Monty Python would say ........... you're all individuals ......... but I'm not.

Adriano Varoli Piazza <moranar at gmail.com> wrote: On 12/15/06, Carsten Aulbert  wrote:
> Do you see that there is choice, and therefore requiring everyone to use
> the same is IMHO a bad thing? I agree, it would be nice to have a single
> tool, which just uses the toolkit/decorations you favour and have still
> the same functionailty under the hood, heck even the name could be the
> same. Well, at least sometimes.

I think there is. It's called "apt-get". Or "dpkg", if it strikes your
fancy. Same interface across the board, fast, versatile, same names on
Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu proper. Hey, even Debian uses it! Must be
fairly good then... :)

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar