Old pc faster than ecent

Brad Johnson brad at bkjohnson.com
Fri Dec 15 10:41:40 UTC 2006

> > Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a laptop WITHOUT a 7200RPM
> > HDD.
>
> Not to intrude here, however battery life and heat are two major
> reasons for staying away from 7200rpm drives in laptops...

You bring up a good point. There will be more heat from a 7200RPM drive.
If your laptop is badly built and has just enough cooling power and
battery life to handle it's stock equipment, you may have troubles.

On the other hand. Some laptops can handle a 7200RPM drive just fine. My
IBM T42 Laptop has a 1.7GHZ processor, 15" screen, 7200RPM HDD (stock),
1GB RAM and my battery life is over 2 hours. My HDD temp is 33 C which
is below body temperature and sensors-applet shows the cooling fans even
turn off at times.

The result is a laptop that feels like a desktop. At work I have a Dell
laptop with a 2Ghz processor, 512MB RAM and a 5400RPM HDD. The IBM walks
all over the Dell simply because of HDD speed.

Brad