Old pc faster than recent

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Fri Dec 15 07:25:41 UTC 2006

sebastien wrote:
> OK, so another more accurate information.

> 1. On the celeron laptop Ive lauched OO word processor :
> * disabling acpid and apmd daemons (laptop energy management):
> ... in 18 seconds
> * acpid and apmd enabled :
> ... 22seconds.
> (inbetween I of course disconnected the session)

> 2. On my 7 years old pentium 733 :
>  15 seconds !!!

Like Steve wrote, it would be nice to try bonnie (or faster and more
inaccurate "sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/hda" and the output of "sudo hdparm -I
/dev/hda", assuming hda is the harddisk).

OOwrite loads a lot of stuff from the hard disk, thus if the throughput
of the laptop drive is much less than that of the desktop system, this
would explain it. Also loading OO might push things into swap, making
things even slower (try looking at the swap level before and after

Regarding acpid: I guess the system is in a lower power state, which
frequency scaling governor do you use? Either try
sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_*
sudo cat /sys//devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_*gov*

or use one of the applets helping with this, e.g. klaptop or its Gnome twin.

HTH

Carsten