cannot add a hard drive

Garry Knight garryknight at gmx.net
Fri Dec 15 01:49:14 UTC 2006

Trevor Nye wrote:

> I have added a drive to my machine, but cannot get it to mount. I have
> gparted it, no problem. but I cannot get it to mount. It says no entry
> in fstab, which is true.

What kind of drive? An IDE drive? Did you hook it up to the 2nd IDE
controller? If so, then it will be called hdc. If you slaved it to the 1st
controller, it will be hdb. And the slave on the 2nd controller is hdd.

How many partitions did you create? Just the one? In that case it will be
hdc1.

And what format did you choose? Was it ext3? Or something else?

And where do you want it mounted? Do you want to use it for /home? Or,
maybe, /backup?

Depending on the answers to these questions, you would need to add a line
to /etc/fstab that looks something like this:

/dev/hdc1    /backup    ext3    defaults    0    2

> sorry to be so stupid

I'm sure you already know that not having information that you haven't yet
been given is not the same as being stupid.

> tia

yw.  :-)

--
Garry Knight