Old pc faster than recent

sebastien scamot2004 at gmx.at
Thu Dec 14 21:22:20 UTC 2006

Thanks everyone !
What a disappointment to have a 1 year old laptop
slower than an old 7 years old desktop... That reminds me : At which
point does the society of consumption does really benefit us ? ? Sure
those 2 products are different, but 7 years is a lot for computers...

note : on the laptop, W2K is pretty much faster than ubuntu 6.10 for
the same kind of applications (I cannot compare to my desktop- it
only runs ubuntu, so grrrrrrrreat I must say).

Regarding the problem and to answer to your questions :

Yes, DMA was activated.

Number of services on the laptop running 6.10 : that's a fact : a very
high amount of services is listed : a  majority is checked (14 daemons),
and some not. Which ones can I safely deactivate to improve ?

buscom sys (checked)
klogd (checked)
syslogd (checked)
britty (unchecked)
acpid (checked)
apmd (checked)
bluetooth (unchecked)
alsa-utils (unchecked)
hotkey-set (checked)
gdm (checked)
powernowd (checked)
rpc portmap (unchecked)
screen (unchecked)
hdparm (unchecked)
anacron (unchecked)
nfs-kernel-server (checked)
samba (checked)
DNS avahi-daemon (checked)
cupsys (checked)
hplip (checked)
festival (unchecked)
bug apport (checked)

On my LTS desktop (all services are checked) : 8 services only.

klogd
sysklogd
gdm
mysql
apache2
samba
nfs server
cupsys

I shall try XFCE on the laptop, in order to get a faster ubuntu, if
disabling more daemons do not enhance the performance.

On my desktop, Ive noticed that the LTS version is now faster than the
last version 5.10 was.

sc