Old pc faster than ecent

sebastien scamot2004 at gmx.at
Thu Dec 14 09:05:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've got 2 computers.
An old one (Pentium 3, 733MHz 370Mb RAM) and a recent one (laptop
celeron 1,5GHz 270Mb SDRAM).

The old one has ubuntu LTS : perfect ! It is fast. 0% SWAP used. 133Mb
RAM used when no window's opened. I can do everything I need with this
configuration, that's perfect.

The laptop has ubuntu 6,10 running : I find it slow compared to my
old machine, while I expected it to be pretty much faster ! ! ! That's
crazy !
145Mb RAM of 256 used and 5,5% SWAP used (23Mb)

I could not install LTS on this laptop because of an xserver problem,
while the 6.10 worked out of the box. So, I cannot make a real
comparison between the two configurations.

I wonder why ubuntu 6.10 uses Swap memory, on this laptop
while no application is running ? And is it slow because it uses this
swap memory ?

Sebastien.