915resolution howto

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Thu Dec 14 02:12:23 UTC 2006

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony laptop, it uses 1280x800 screen res from an intel 915gm
> onboard graphics.
>
> I have always used 915resoution like this:
> # 915resolution 38 1280 800 24
>
> Then edit /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line:
> /usr/sbin/915resolution 38 1280 800 24
>
> Then I can ctrl+alt+backspace to restart x-server and get the new
> resolution. Question is, this doesn't seem the right approach 'cause the
> 915res website says you need to edit xorg.conf and I have no idea
> how...?
>
> Also when the computer resumes from hibernate the screen res is not
> correct but a standar 640x480. Have been living with this prob for a
> year now, just install Edgy and would love to finally solve it :)

I have a Sony laptop with an i915 card, and I have not needed
915resolution since Breezy.  You may want to uninstall 915 resolution,
and get this working directly with the xorg.conf.

I have attached my current xorg.conf for reference.  I do remember that
I had to mess with it a bit in Dapper to get everything working
properly, and so I can probably help a bit to try to figure out what is
going on with yours, too.  As you can see from my xorg.conf, my laptop
screen is 1366x768.

The first place that I started looking is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  It
had informational messages in there that told me why it wasn't selecting
the resolution I wanted.  It may have to do with sync ranges configured
for the monitor, or other issues, but we should be able to figure this
out.  Let me know if you would like to pursue this further.

-Matt