nVidia, AC97 sound, and UDEV.

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Tue Dec 12 14:42:35 UTC 2006

Daniel T. Chen wrote:

> David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>> "sound/pci/ac97"  OK, I figure I'm real smart so I do a "# modprobe
>> ac97" which appears to work.  Also, recalling what nVidia used to
>>

> Barking up the wrong tree here.

So much for figuring "I'm real smart!"

>> SO, am I using the right driver, or do I need to compile in the "intel8x0".
>>

> We already compile and provide snd-intel8x0.ko and snd-ac97-codec.ko
> (among a host of prerequisite ALSA kernel modules) in the various
> linux-image-2.6.foo packages.

OK, I did locate them using those names and did a modprobe snd-intel8x0
to make sure it was loaded (?). Still no joy!

>> And, while we're at it, if someone can advise what udev configuration
>> statements I need to assign the /dev/dsp* names to the appropriate node
>> numbers, that would be nice too.
>>

> You wouldn't touch udev, actually.
>
> Essentially, if snd_intel8x0 is loaded, is selected as the default sound
> driver, and is detected and shown properly with ``asoundconf list'',
> then the real issue is a mixer level [elements] one, i.e., "your volumes
> are not set properly.
asoundconf list doesn't say that!:

Names of available sound cards:
nForce2

> Look at the output from ``amixer''.

Probably useless in light of the above, however:
ATTACHED

And as silent as can be.