ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 3D support

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Dec 12 11:37:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:23:54PM -0900, Damien Hull wrote:
> I've searched all over the net for a fix and I can't figure this one out.
>
> Here's what I've got.
>
>    1. Ubuntu Dapper
>    2. Xorg version 7 ( according to "X -version" )
>    3. IBM ThinkPad T42
>          1. ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

I have this hardware.  3D works (mostly), and has always worked out of
the box, as far as I can remember.  That's why I love Ubuntu -- mostly
stuff just works.

I can run Compiz if I disable the "blur" plugin (which makes things
*too* slow) and if I also disable dual-monitor support (32 megs of video
RAM is not enough for a 3D desktop at 2304x1024, and besides the
hardware 3D engine only supports acceleration up to 2048x2048).

> I tried to follow these instructions on the Ubuntu forum but they don't
> work.
>
>     * http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=32015
>     * http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=119487

I see a lot of people tweaking obscure options to get the maximum FPS
value in glxgears.  People I respect keep saying glxgears is not a good
benchmark, and the FPS it shows have little to do with the speed of
actual 3D applications/games.

> Part of the instructions include running "driconf". I installed it but
> when I run it it says something about no "radeon" driver or that it
> doesn't allow configuration.

That's interesting.  I can run driconf and it doesn't complain.

If you run

  $ glxinfo |grep direct

in a terminal, do you see "direct rendering: Yes"?

> That last link says something about Xorg version 6.9. I've got Xorg
> version 7.0. I don't want to go backwards here.

You don't need to.

> I'm hoping someone on the list has a fix for this. Again, the above
> instructions didn't work for me.

Marius Gedminas
--
If you want to trick a pointy-haired boss into letting you write software in
Lisp, you could try telling him it's XML.