digikam won't let me delete files - "could not rename file ..."

Menachem Shapiro menachem.shapiro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 04:16:49 UTC 2006

B"H
Hello

I installed digikam (as well as a bunch of related packages) to my
computer running Ubuntu Edgy.

When I try to delete a file, I get an error saying "could not rename
file FILENAME" (where FILENAME is the name of the file). By default
the permissions for the file are 644, but even changing them to 777
made no difference.

What could be preventing the program from deleting the pictures? Does
KDE and GNOME use a different trash can system (which would prevent
digikam, a QT program, from deleting a file on a Gnome system)?

Thanks,
Menachem