Edgy on a Dell Dimension 9150

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 12 02:06:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:31:32 +0100
Nils <elitepenguin at gmx.net> wrote:

> Also gnome-terminal makes me crazy, because it uses alt-b, alt-f for
> the menu (in bash this is normally used to jump one word forward or
> back) How can I disable this and get alt-b/f working again?

Interesting. Here alt-b and alt-f move one  word forward and back,
which is  the expected behaviour - and they do not seem to be used
for the menu. This is the 6.06 Dapper version of gnome-terminal ...

Aha! If the menu bar is showing, alt-b and alt-f do indeed open menus: I
just tried this, because I normally have the menu bar hidden. With the
menu bar hidden, alt-b and alt-f work as you want them to work!

So - try right-click in gnome-trerminal, and un-check "Show Menubar" - see
if that helps.

Personally, I generally prefer to use urxvt ( from the rxvt-unicode
package) . It starts faster and uses less resources, and is UTF-8
compatible. I have an alias for urxvt that starts it with my preferred
options.

Peter

Peter