update-manager broken after edgy upgrade

qt4x11 qt4x11 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 23:55:06 UTC 2006

I tried to upgrade from dapper to edgy. The upgrade seems only partly
successful. When I reboot after the upgrade, I'm not able to run
update-manager.

I get:
Quote:
root at localhost:/home/user# update-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 32, in ?
from UpdateManager.UpdateManager import UpdateManager
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line
59, in ?
import dbus
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/__init__.py", line 1, in ?
from _dbus import *
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/_dbus.py", line 48, in ?
from proxies import *
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/proxies.py", line 2, in ?
import introspect_parser
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/introspect_parser.py", line 1,
in ?
import libxml2
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
import libxml2mod
ImportError: /var/lib/python-support/python2.4/libxml2mod.so: undefined
symbol:
xmlXPathContextSetCache
I followed this guide when upgrading.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

I tried
gksu "update-manager -c"
to upgrade first - but it did not seem to work. When I rebooted I was still
in dapper.

I then tried the apt-get upgrade method on this page.
It seems to have worked partly.
Quote:
root at localhost:/home/user# lsb_release -r
Release: 6.10
but I still get the update-manager problem, and I'm not sure what else may
be broken. Anyone else experience this problem?

I have already tried reinstalling ubuntu-standard, ubuntu-minimal and
ubuntu-desktop. It tells me that these packages are already upgraded to the
latest version.

I have also tried reinstalling update-manager with synaptic. It tells me I
need also reinstall ubuntu-desktop. I remove and reinstall ubuntu-desktop,
then I attempt to reinstall update-manager. When I try to reinstall
update-manager I get an error:
Quote:
E: update-manager: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
status 127