Is it crazy to buy a MacBook?

bradhamilton bradhamilton at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 23:31:55 UTC 2006

>From: Chanchao <custom at freenet.de>
>Subject: Re: Is it crazy to buy a MacBook?
>> > Just curious - why run Ubuntu on a Mac platform, instead of OS X?
>> > Is there something you need in Ubuntu, that isn't available/can't be
>> > compiled & run on OS X?
>
> Apple is not Free remember?  Keep in mind they're EVERY bit as evil in
> their business practises as Microsoft..  It's really unbelievable what
> they try to pull AND get away with, only because they're seen as the
> cute arty underdog.. But it's run from the very same mindset as
> Microsoft... (lock in, lock in, lock in, sell proprietary hardware,
> using proprietary formats, sell tunes, make money)

I'd much rather run OS X than Windows, wouldn't you?	:-)  Has nothing to
do with "artiness", and much to do with BSD-compatibility, and
(generally) fewer virii/worms etc.  In general, you don't need to
compile in the extra "bits" of stuff you "need" that a "base" distro of
Ubuntu/Debian/SuSe/RH etc. may not offer; and if you feel comfortable
with UN*X, then adding in stuff under the X development environment in
OS X is not difficult.

I don't have a Mac platform right now, (only an HP laptop) so that's why
I use (and like) Ubuntu.  My next laptop will be (most likely) a Mac
platform with OS X, unless hardware/software reliability goes downhill;
it's all just a matter of convenience (to me).

If you buy a non-Mac platform, it's generally hard to avoid the "Windows
tax", so what's the difference between the "Windows tax" and the "OS X tax"?
[...]