Changes in Gimp.

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sun Dec 10 00:16:47 UTC 2006

norman wrote:
> For more than a year I have used Gimp with Turboprint to produce my
> photographic prints without a border. Now, for some reason, I am no
> longer able to do this. I recently set up a new box with Ubuntu 6.06.1
> and since then all my attempts to produce a print without a border have
> resulted in top and sides no border but a white border at the bottom. I
> have carried out various tests to try to identify the cause of the
> problem and the results point very strongly at Gimp. For example,
> printing from a terminal via Turboprint only, resulted in a perfect
> print.
>
> The current version of Gimp is 2.2.11 as is the version on my old box.
> However, a noticeable change has taken place in the window in which the
> print settings are made. For example, on the old box I could set my
> paper at 5 x 7 borderless but now no borderless paper sizes are listed,
> instead there is a button marked borderless. On the old box the image to
> be printed fitted neatly into the paper outline in the preview panel. On
> my new box, the same image overhangs the paper outline with the overhang
> being most obvious at the bottom.
>
> Is there anyone who can throw some light on what I can do to produce the
> borderless prints I want? I still have my old box so I can carry out
> comparative tests if any are suggested. Perhaps there is a way in which
> I can find the version of Gimp that I used to use and load it to replace
> the Gimp I have. If so, I would be grateful if I could be told what to
> do.
>
> I apologise for this long post but I wanted to show that I have tried to
> solve the problem before coming to the list.
>
> Norman

Try:

File|Print|Setup Printer|

Make sure that the Printer PPD has the right path for your printer. Mine
is a Canon MP-750 and the path is:

/usr/share/turboprint/ppd/Canon_PIXMA_MP750.ppd

Make sure the Standard Command box has your actual printer in the
Printer Queue box.

Click OK and you should now see the settings & paper types for your
printer. You can also modify the border settings manually.

Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
Turboprint + Canon Pixma MP750